Friday, May 23, 2014

I got a "PROMOTION"!!

Well, bike camp was very successful for me b/c Elmar promoted me in the pool!!  (Obviously the swim sessions coached by Paul paid off....)  I have graduated from the 2nd --> 3rd lane (lane #1 = slow, lane #8 = fast).  I'll take that.

Bike camp was hard work, but I really enjoyed it.  6 solid days of riding around Vernon was so nice - country roads with minimal traffic - not quite the same as Spain, but still beautiful. Third time I've been on this Vernon camp with Jack.  First time with Paul coaching too and it was fun.   Focused purpose with each ride, with steady build from day to day and great coaching.

I made it up most of the climbs - occasionally switch-backed up the switch-backs!  Did have 2 climbs where I walked my bike - one just too steep for me.  The other just too fatigued - in the rain, in a headwind, getting cold, on a climb that seemed to go on forever.  My original plan was to climb until I met the rest of the group heading back.  Then I was like - where the #!*k is everyone?   This was on the Friday and we had another long day on Sat, so I pulled the plug and when I saw the truck before the group - I gave the "thumb's down" sign and called it a day.  I think I still had 4'ish km to go, but also wanted to do well on Sat, so I made the right call for me.  The weather overall was warm for the most part - I think we had some sprinkles on Wed and Friday was miserable and wet.

Sat was the ride in and around Penticton. I have good memories of Penticton as we vacationed there a lot when I was a kid.  I visited with my mom (we spread her ashes their after she passed away), so I had a chat with her at Skaha Lake.  The campground we always stayed at is still there - the trees are so BIG - 40 years is a long time ago!!

The other highlight was Jack's brother-in-law, Kelly!!  He's a registered massage therapist and not only did he drive the support truck all week - he did massages in the evening for us.  What a great bonus after a long day in the saddle.

Had a bit of a taper going into camp and a recovery week after camp, so things are ramping up again. Nephew's b'day in Drumheller on Sat, so that's where I'll be riding to.  My previous 2 rides to Drum have been in a headwind for 90 km, so I'm not expecting anything different tomorrow.

Happy training - Ciao, Cindy


3 comments:

  1. I love your blog Cindy! Thanks for sharing your stories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on your promotion! :)
    Great that the camp was well focused, and sweet that you got to say hi to your mom and do a little trip down memory lane. Keep it up! Sounds like things are going well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks VJ and Mike - you're both such positive influences. I appreciate your comments and support. Hope all is well in your running world Mike. VJ - great to see pics of you on your bike in Cali. So glad summer weather has arrived here too!

    ReplyDelete