Sunday, July 18, 2010

REFOCUS, KEEP YOUR HEAD UP!

Being back from vacation and back to training has been a bit scary these past 2 weeks. It's hard not to psyche myself out at times. After Canmore, I thought things would just fall back into place. I had a few days to acclimate myself prior to my return to work and training. What I didn't expect was some lingering jetlag? or just sheer exhaustion?
Swimming my first 2 weeks back has been disappointing. It's hard not to compare yourself to others, and I know I shouldn't, but I was discouraged to be passed by my lane mate in Talsiman Tri Club morning swims. Could I lag that much in 3 weeks? Apparently so... OK, never mind what your neighbour is doing, just get on with it. This person has been training hard and reaping the rewards - they deserve it. Jon and Grant (coaches extraordinaire) will help me work on improving my efficiency - thanks guys. I'm going to put in the work and make an effort too.
Biking hasn't been atrocious - I love my "new red bike" - it's very fast, and I love getting on it. A few challenging rides weren't necessarily the issue, it was the "3 hour nap" that progressed to not getting out of bed until the next morning that was scaring me - acckkk, do I really need 12 hours of sleep? I haven't been feeling "sick", so I guess it's just my body telling me to rest? My concern is that I had 3 days last week like that. Not really sure what that's been about, but I hope it's out of my system.
I'm going to end this post on a positive note.
Since I've been "well rested" I had a great bike on July 17. I repeated the previous weekend ride - 2 loops of the first 1/2 of the 70.3 course (1 loop forward, then reverse = 96 km); added in a convenient "recovery soak" in Ghost Lk post ride; nailed my nutrition on the bike; did a short run off the bike; and finished the day off with a healthy post ride meal and dinner that evening.
A good sleep led to the group run on July 18. I had so much difficulty last year getting a long run in the day after a long ride - I just didn't have the stamina. This year my recovery nutrition (immediately after a workout - Hammer's Recoverite, and a healthy meal at home) has improved immensely and I think that's been the biggest difference. Granted, running isn't easy for me, but I do enjoy it for the most part now. I still struggle with my longer runs (thanks Pauline for putting up with me), but I don't fall apart until farther in now....
I'm going to stay positive, complete some shorter, more intense workouts this week, then taper into the week before the 70.3 (where I'm going to be 1.5 hours faster than last year!)

No comments:

Post a Comment